What we Collect
Personal information includes any factual or subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual. This includes information in any form, including age, name, ID numbers, income, ethnic origin, or blood type, opinions, evaluations, comments, social status, or disciplinary actions, employee or volunteer files, credit records, loan records, and medical records.
Information You Provide
Rethink usually collects personal information directly from the individual in the course of its business through various means including, but not limited to:
- registration and application forms;
- Rethink programs and services;
- donor and fundraising forms;
- on-line applications, services and systems;
- event ticket purchases; and
- purchases through Give-A-Care.
Rethink may also collect personal information from other sources (including personal references and family members), with the consent of the individual or where permitted or required by law (for example, when the information is about a minor) or is publicly available.
Automated Information Collection
Tracking and Google Analytics
Our websites may automatically record some general information about your visit in order for Rethink to engage in web statistical analysis using Google Analytics. We want to make sure our sites are useful to visitors and make the most efficient use of donor dollars in our marketing efforts through targeted advertising. This information may include the:
- internet domain for your internet service provider, such as “company.com” or “service.ca” and the IP address of the computer you are using to access Rethink’s website;
- type of browser you are using, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome;
- type of operating system you are using such as Windows or Macintosh;
- date and time of the visit to our site, the pages of our site that were visited, and the address of the previous website you were visiting if you linked to us from another website;
- age category, gender, and affinity interests as determined by demographic and interest reports available through Google Analytics.
Data collected for web analytics purposes may be processed in any country where Google operates servers, and thus may be subject to the governing legislation of that country.
We also use “cookies” that identify you as a return visitor and which can help us tailor information to suit your individual preferences. A cookie is a small text file that a website can send to your browser, which may then store the cookie on your hard drive. The goal is to save you time next time you visit, provide you with a more meaningful visit, and measure website activity. Cookies in and of themselves cannot be used to reveal your identity. Many browsers, however, allow you to disable cookie collection if you wish, or inform you when a cookie is being stored on your hard drive. We do not link your cookies to other personal information about you.
When You Are Not on Rethink Sites
Rethink also provides links to other websites which we believe may be of interest to you. Rethink is not responsible for the privacy practices of these other sites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each and every website that requests personal information from you.
Third party social media
Rethink’s use of social media serves as an extension of its presence on the internet. Social media account(s) are public and are not hosted on Rethink’s servers. Users who choose to interact with Rethink via social media should read the terms of service and privacy policies of these third-party service providers and those of any applications used to access them.
How We Use and Disclose Personal Information
Rethink collects and uses personal information for purposes such as:
- welcoming you as a subscriber , providing access to the newsletter and other mailings, and to facilitate ongoing communication and service;
- providing cancer-related support services and running Rethink events;
- responding to any concerns or inquiries about Rethink’s activities;
- fundraising and promoting Rethink events and services;
- accounting and other financial purposes such as issuing tax receipts and to administer pre-authorized recurring donations; and
- maintaining an employment relationship with employees of Rethink.
Should you choose, or are required as part of our support programs, to provide us with your health information, Rethink does not collect or use this information to provide you with opinions or endorse any particular treatment option or course of action, nor do we use this information to make decisions on your behalf or provide you with medical referrals or advice. We do not use such sensitive personal information beyond the purposes of providing the support programs to you.
Aggregated information is used for service planning and delivery, health promotion, and the general administration of Rethink’s business, including to assess the effectiveness of Rethink’s programs and campaigns, improving donor experience and assisting in developing new programs and channels. This information will be compiled and analyzed on an aggregate basis and, unless we have your specific consent to use identified information, does not identify any individual and therefore is not treated as personal information under this policy.
Personal information may be shared with volunteers and service providers (collectively “Affiliates”). Such Affiliates assist Rethink in establishing, managing and maintaining our relationship with you and providing products and services to Rethink, such as mailing and fulfillment organizations and third party fundraising agencies. Such Affiliates will only use your personal information for the purposes identified above and are bound by confidentiality agreements and commit to safeguarding your personal information. Note that in working with our service providers, your personal information may be transferred to a foreign jurisdiction to be processed or stored. Such information may be provided to law enforcement or national security authorities of that jurisdiction upon request, in order to comply with foreign laws.
Rethink does not disclose credit card account information provided by users except to the appropriate banking institutions or payment processing provider in order to process a credit or debit authorization for payment, or to resolve a dispute.
- As necessary to our service providers that help us with our business operations;
- If necessary to protect the safety or security of users of our website, to detect and prevent fraud or abusive behaviour, or when otherwise required or permitted by law;
- In the event that we sell, transfer or otherwise dispose of the business to an affiliate, successor, assign or other third party entity; or
- With your consent.
Otherwise, we will not disclose your personal information to others without your consent.
Express consent will always be sought should the primary purpose of collection be to promote a corporate partner product or should we wish to disclose your personal information to a third party, such as another charity.
Data Limitation and Security
Every Rethink employee is responsible for ensuring that all information collected is limited, both in amount and type, to what is needed to fulfill the identified purposes. Rethink implements physical, technological and procedural safeguards in keeping with the sensitivity of the data we maintain to guard against unauthorized access, modification or use. Safeguards include physical, organizational and technical measures, such as (but not limited to):
- security card access to premises;
- confidentiality undertakings by all employees;
- locking up personal information and not leaving it unattended or in plain view;
- firewalls, anti-virus, strong passwords and software solutions for technical security (including secure, 128-bit encrypted Secure Socket Layer sessions on our website); and
- regular reviews of privacy compliance initiatives.
Personal information is only retained as long as it is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes(s) remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
Personal Information Processed Outside Canada
We do not knowingly collect personal information from or about children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any personal information on or through the website, or use any of the interactive or public comment features of this website or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, email address or any screen name or user name you may use.
Your Marketing Preferences
You may request or otherwise consent to receive electronic or other communications from us. If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from Rethink or participate in more personalized information and services, you may unsubscribe by following the directions provided with the communication.
Accuracy, Access and Modification/Deletion
Rethink makes reasonable efforts to keep personal information as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which the information is to be used. We rely on our donors, fundraisers, event participants, individuals who use Rethink services, volunteers and employees to provide us with accurate information and to notify us if their information needs to be updated.
You may request at any time for us to confirm what personal information we maintain about you and, subject to any applicable exemptions, to provide you with a copy of that personal information (along with certain other details). As permitted by law, we may charge a small fee to provide copies to you.
If you wish, as permitted and required by law, we can delete the personal information we maintain about you where we no longer need it or if you withdraw your consent. You can also ask us in some cases to refrain from sharing personal information with third parties for processing. In certain cases, you may also have the right to obtain (in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format) personal information from us for you to use elsewhere, or ask us to transfer it to a third party of your choice.
If you want to exercise any of these rights you can do so by contacting us.
Accountability; Concerns or Questions
Individuals should direct questions, or any request for request for access to their personal information, to the Privacy Officer in writing. If you have any questions about this policy, Rethink’s privacy practices, or would like to access your personal information, please contact:
Chief Privacy Officer
Rethink Breast Cancer
50 Carroll Street, Suite 202
Toronto, ON M4M 3G3
Phone Number: 416-920-0980
* NOTE: We cannot guarantee the security of e-mail communications over the internet.