Pinkwashing, pinktober, a sea of pink. You name it we’ve heard it come October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness Month or BCAM. It’s easy to point a finger at commercialism or exploitative cause marketing and be done with it. But the reality is, we need October and the resounding support that comes with it. And that means “pink partnerships” that help us fund the work we do everyday to help support those concerned about, and affected by breast cancer: advocacy, education, awareness and support.
Now, we’re not saying that just slapping a pink sticker on a product for October is acceptable but to the average person, it can certainly feel that way. After all, it was Chiquita who was called out for displaying pink stickers on their bananas and not directing funds back to the breast cancer cause from sales, in any way.
Enter transparency. We feel we have an ethical responsibility to our stakeholders, partners and community members to work with brands that are accountable to the dollars they raise. That’s why we created the hashtag Rethinking Pink to spotlight our curated partnerships and the details surrounding them. Reputable brands and charities will be upfront about the nature of their cause marketing partnerships, which should offer information like the percentage of sales going back to the charity, what the funds are supporting and if there’s a minimum/maximum cap on donations.
In other words, do your research and shop/support as you see fit. Just know that on the other end of your purchase, there is often a collective thank you being given from the charity and those with breast cancer that you are supporting.
We are proud to announce our 2018 Rethinking pink partnerships.
1. H&M Limited-Edition Capsule T-shirt Collection
2. 5. Lindo F Toque Collection
3. BIKO Rose Gold Capsule Collection
4. Kitchen Stuff Plus Register Donation
5. Victoria Emerson Rethink Wrap Collection
6. Ardene x Barbie Collection
7. Knix Rose Gold Evolution Bra (and more)
8. Smythe Rethink Pink Duchess Blazer
9. Caryl Baker Visage Brow Products/Service (including microblading)
10. teapigs premium tea
11. Gémeaux Hoodies
12. Apollo Tool Kit
13. Aerie Limited-Edition Sports Bra and Leggings (and in-store donation)
14. Gee Beauty Lipstick and Gloss 15. Earls Strawberry Rhubarb Fizz Cocktails and Mocktails
For a complete list of Rethinking Pink partnerships, click here to learn more